From the "secretive" Facebook status tags (by the way, I personally like it on the kitchen table) to the little pink ribbons that pop up everywhere, one of the best things about the month of October is Breast Cancer Awareness. Heck, even Halloween and that renewed (and blessedly appreciated for us Southern gals!) cool crispiness in the air can't top the Pink!
In celebration of this wonderful cause, I want to share my list of favorites from this year's collection of pink-ribbon themed products!
But first! I honestly can't gush about items to buy without first imploring my dear readers to go straight to the source - be it the Susan G. Komen Foundation, or any other honest and worthwhile organization devoted to breast cancer research, treatment, awareness and education, or even helping those directly affected by this disease. In fact, if there's a local organization that you know of in (or near) your community, start there. Every little bit helps. Donate money. Donate time. Donate a teddy bear to a child who's mom is fighting this illness, if you know of a group doing such a thing. Whatever you can do, it doesn't matter how big or small the gesture, because each one counts!
Also, be careful. Before you donate to an organization or buy a product allegedly linked to the flurry of breast cancer awareness campaigns this year, be sure to read the fine print. You'll be surprised (sometimes even apalled) to find some brands doing as little as possible in return for you buying the overpriced items that they're hocking. Similarly, you should really do your homework before forking over your money to an organization that's not familiar to you. Yes, every little bit helps, but there is a significant line between doing good and getting ripped off.
Now, onto the goodies!
1. Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizer ($35): I've been wanting to try this (Have I posted my skincare must-have yet? No? Well, I will be soon, and this is on the list!), and what a better time of the year to take the plunge? I've heard good things about this moisturizer, and the pink-ribbon version comes with a collectible key ring attached. The only iffy part about it is the fact that it's $12.50 more than the regular one, which gives them an extra $2.50 profit, but I'd pay $2.50 for the keychain alone, so it's a reasonable mark-up.
2. DKNY Be Delicious Coffret ($38): You know I absolutely love my Be Delicious Fresh Blossom. Well, here's four minis to split between me and my sister! You get two of the original (green) Be Delicious and two Be Delicious Fresh Blossom (pink). According to Sephora.com, "In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness month DKNY Be Delicious will be making a $15,000 donation to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation." Doesn't say if it's in relation to the sale of these coffrets, but $15K isn't too shabby.
3. Estee Lauder - Elizabeth Hurley Lip Design Collection ($25): Estee Lauder is a HUGE supporter of Breast Cancer Awareness each year, and this year alone, they will be donating $500,000 to The Breast Cancer Research Foundation. In fact, according to their web site, "By October 2010, the Estee Lauder Companies and their retail partners will have contributed or raised $45 million since 1993 for BCRF." Why wouldn't we want help them out by purchasing this lovely set of two dual-ended lip glosses with pink crocodile clutch? You get four different glosses in two hook-up tubes! Four Glosses! (Okay, half glosses?) For $25.00! I am personally not a fan of lip gloss, but I am definitely willing to give it one more shot with these. Besides, if anyone has the right boobs to help promote awareness about breast cancer, it's Elizabeth Hurley!
By the way, if you're not a fan of Estee Lauder makeup, then I suggest picking up one of their Jeweled Pink Ribbon Pins for only $12.50. It's pink. It sparkles. Needs I say more?
4. Anything from the Save the Ta-Tas brand! I absolutely love the Ta-Tas brand. It's so cheeky and fun! Granted, no one will argue that cancer is a serious and depressing disease, but making people aware, educating them, and even more importantly, getting them to do something to help the cause doesn't have to be a gloomy, solemn process. The Ta-Tas brand offers clothing, accessories (which is more than just decals and beads), and Boob Lube, a line of lotion, soap, and body wash - all of which come complete with instructions for using them in self examination! I personally love the PREMIUM ta-tas Medallion V-neck Tee in Heathered Charcoal, and the Save the Ta-Tas pullover hoodies (available in black and white).
Do note that this is a for-profit company, but they state clearly on every page that "at least 25% of the proceeds of every purchase is used to fight this devastating disease." After clicking through, it says that it "has contributed on average approximately 50% of company net profits, or proceeds, over the past 6 years to help fight the war on breast cancer."
5. Philosophy - Shower for the Cure ($20): This is a good one. 100% of the net proceeds from sales of this 3-in-1 bath product will be donated to the Women's Cancer Research Fun. For those not familiar with the Philosophy 3-in-1 products, it's a shampoo, shower gel, and bath gel all in one.
6. Essie - We Can Do It Pink! ($8): We Can Do It Pink! - a soft, sheer pink, according to the web site - is Essie's contribution to breast cancer awareness this year. An unspecified portion of the sale of this polish will go to Living Beyond Breast Cancer, an organization that empowers women affected by breast cancer. If it were any brand other than essie, I might be skeptical, but for them, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. ;)
7. Yoplait yogurt lids: Yoplait is encouraging you to lick (and save) your yogurt tops this month. I love yogurt - it's tasty and good for you - and now it's even better. "Save lids to save lives," they say. With each lid you send from now until December 31, Yoplait will donate 10 cents to the Susan G. Koman Foundation. The total donation cap is set at $1.6 million, with a guaranteed donation of $500,000. Considering that they met their goal of $1.5 million last year, I have just one thing to say: Get to lickin' ladies!
8. Pink Ribbon Sharpies + Sharpie's Ink it in Pink!: 10 cent from the sale of every Pink Ribbon Sharpie goes to City of Hope for breast cancer research, treatment and education (up to $50,000). That seems like a paltry amount, but there's more! Upload your pink-Sharpie siggy to the SharpieUncapped web site, and Sharpie will donate $1 (up to a max of $10,000) to City of Hope in support of breast cancer research and treatment. Miley's doing it, but don't let that stop you! (lol!) Other celebs have done it, too! Besides, $60,000 is nothing to thumb your nose at! (Markers are available from OfficeMax.com for about $2.00 for a 2-pack.)
9. Origins - Peace of Mind On the Spot Relief ($10): Origins is another must-have for me (I swear I'll post my list soon!). Right now, they have a pink-ribbon themed offering for clarity and peace of mind. This isn't a skincare item. It's a "sensibilities care" item, in the form of an aromatherapy-esque liquid that you dab on the back of your neck, earlobes, and temples (near the hairline, not your eyes). Origins will donate $35,000 to the Breast Cancer Research foundation, regardless of whether or not you buy this particular product, so at $10 a pop, what do you have to lose by supporting them for their efforts? Other than your sanity, of course. ;)
10. Guess - Sparkling Pink 2010 Watch ($95): 20% of each sale of this stainless steel watch goes to the Susan G. Koman foundation. Sporting 11 baby pink crystals at each hour (tiny clear crystals appear to be at the 12 o'clock mark), and a pink crystal-encrusted ribbon on the face, this cute little timepiece is well worth a look. It comes in a pink snake skin box with GUESS embossed on the cover. I'm personally not sure if I'm going to get this one, since I already have a watch that I love (and that doubles as a charm bracelet to boot!), but if I didn't already have one, I'd definitely want this on my wishlist!
So, there you have it. My list of top faves from the BCA goodies being offered! Now, put on your shopping hats and get to spending! It's for a great cause!